A conspicuously green frog once noted “it isn’t easy being green”. But he wasn’t waxing philosophical about making smoothies. In fact, nothing could be easier—or more healthful—than going green with a delicious, veggie-laced green smoothie. And don’t think that just because a smoothie has vegetables, and looks like a freshly mowed lawn, that it has to taste like grass clippings. It doesn’t. In fact, if your smoothie doesn’t taste light, delicious, and refreshing it’s unlikely to do you any good at all, since you won’t drink it.
We believe in serving enticing smoothies packed with nutritional goodness—which also happen to taste good. If you’re going to be serving these to your family, keep in mind that smoothies are a great way to sneak in some healthful foods—maybe even some superfoods, like spinach—without arousing ire, or suspicion. Ultimately, if your family likes these drinkable meals, they’ll get the plant-based nutrition they need, and you’ll be doing your best to keep everyone healthy. To that end, here are a few simple green smoothie suggestions:
Cinnamon-Scented Green Smoothie
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 4 frozen bananas (peeled)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seed removed
- 1 cup almond milk (or substitute cashew milk, soy milk, etc.)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Place all ingredients in a bender, and blend on high until smooth. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
‘Viridescent’ Green Smoothie
Vividly green, this smoothie features exotic tropical fruits and the wholesome goodness of nature’s superfood, spinach.
- 2 to 4 cups spinach, frozen
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks (we recommend you buy fresh, wait for ripening, then freeze your own)
- 12 cups frozen mango chunks
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled (frozen in chunks)
- 2 cups berries; strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- 1 cup almond milk (may substitute whole milk, soy, coconut milk, kefir, cashew milk, etc.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- honey or agave syrup to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy. Serve immediately. Serves 2.