Fully Functional Festive Breakfast Casserole
Featuring iron-rich, heart-healthy spinach, complete protein from eggs—and beneficial phytonutrients from arugula, onions, leeks, peppers and herbs—this festive casserole is a healthy breakfast option that’s easy to assemble and serve when you have a large crowd on hand. Or simply cut in half for a more modest gathering.
- 12-14 large eggs
- about 3 oz. half and half
- 1/4 sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 8-12 oz. ricotta cheese
- 3 leeks, thoroughly soaked and rinsed to remove sand; white and light green parts only; coarsely chopped (root ends removed)
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 8-oz. pkg washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful washed, torn arugula leaves
- 8-12 oz. feta cheese
- organic red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. seasoning blend, such as Herbs de Provence
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 oz. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté leeks for 3-4 minutes, until they soften and begin to become translucent. Add spinach and arugula leaves and sauté an additional 3 minutes, until leaves wilt. Remove from pan and set aside. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to pan and sauté red bell pepper; approximately 5 minutes.
Lightly beat eggs in a bowl with a whisk. Add a generous splash of half and half, your seasoning blend, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Stir thoroughly. Spray an 11”x14” casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix spinach/leek mixture with ricotta and feta cheeses and layer in bottom of casserole. Sprinkle with green onions, salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture over vegetable mixture, stir ingredients to distribute evenly, and place in a 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with parmesan. Serve immediately.