When looking to incorporate more greens into your diet, don’t fall into the trap of eating boring and bland salads in fear of making your salad too unhealthy. Spruce up your salad dishes with several nutrient-rich ingredients such as arugula & beets. If you don’t think it’s that simple, give this Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Arugula Salad from EvergreenHealth.
Having a leafy green high in nitrate, such as arugula, in this salad allows you to receive many key nutrients including Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and Vitamin C.
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 3 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 6 medium beets, cooked and quartered
• 6 cups fresh arugula
• 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
• 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
• 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
• Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Whisk the vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend.
• Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper. Toss the beets in a small bowl with enough dressing to coat.
• Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the beets are slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
• Toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the salad atop 4 plates. Arrange the beets around the salad.
• Sprinkle with the avocado and goat cheese, and serve.